Friday, June 22, 2012

Jump Start on the morning...

So one of the things I want to do better about is breakfast. My oldest son usually eats breakfast at school and hubby only has coffee on the way to work. Not sure the Hubs habits will change but I would like to get away from the oldest eating breakfast at school. I have a couple reasons for wanting that to change. The number 1 reason is cost, it costs me 1.30 every morning he eats breakfast at school and breakfast at school in my eyes and my son's stomach is more like a morning snack than a morning meal. I am paying 1.30  for him to eat a  morning snack at school five days a week. In addition and my number 2 reason is that my youngest son will be going to school a full day this fall and well that will add up to 1.30 x 2 x5days a week right now its costing me 6.50 for the oldest and if prices don't increase which well we can't count on that they won't another 6.50 a week for my second son and it adds up to 13.00. I think I can do better than that and they will be more satisfied and full longer. Enter in this recipe:
http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/overnight-cinnamon-rolls/
I've made this before and they are delicious!! Easy and not real time consuming and well thats a win-win in my book.

Its super simple you mix these goodies up, roll them out, fill them, roll them up, cut them, place them in a greased baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and pop in the fridge, they raise nice and slow overnight and when you get up in the morning you just turn on the oven and pop them in to bake. Easy Peasy!!!

*FYI* I make them up using the recipe for adding the oil and egg, I like the consistancy it gives the dough.

I can mix up the drizzle while I am enjoying my first cup of coffee and voila, warm-gooey-yummy-homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast!!

I've toyed around with some other quick breakfasts. I really like the hm mcmom sandwiches that freeze and reheat wonderfully, and my kids like them too!!

If you get a chance to try the overnight cinnamon rolls let me know what you think. They're a winner at this house!!!

1 comment:

  1. That can be quite costly. What a great idea on the overnight cinnamon rolls. You can also make some egg sandwiches, french toast or pancakes and then toast them.

    Your cake decorating is looking good. You are doing a great job.

    Have a wonderful weekend with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete