Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Update: Unstuffed Peppers

I had planned on making the "Unstuffed Peppers" on monday night but after canning all day dh took pity on me and brought home take out chinese. He said he was craving it but I think he really just felt bad that I was hot and tired!! He's a sweetie for sure!!

So yesterday I still had canning that needed doing but I think I found my groove and the 2nd 1/2 bushel went faster than the first and so I wasn't completely warn out when it came time to get dinner together.

We love stuffed peppers but we never eat the pepper that its stuffed in. I guess its a texture thing but we love how it flavors the pepper so I thought I would experiment a little and I came up with this.

I had bought a family size package of hamburger and from it I made us a big batch of hamburgers that we grilled out over the weekend. I hadn't bagged up and froze the rest of the hamburger because I had originally planned on making this dish on Monday but the hamburger was still good on Tuesday and I had about 2lbs left from that family pack and I put that into my mixing bowl of my KA mixer, then I added 2 green peppers chopped fine- these were from my garden and we smallish I'm guessing one regular size green pepper from the grocery store would be about the same, I added 1 large onion chopped fine, 2 cups minute rice, 2 cups spaghetti sauce, 2 eggs and salt and pepper, and then let the KA mixer mix it all up for me.

I used a mini muffin pan and made mini size loaves of the mixture and baked them till done.

The verdict? Dh loved them deemed it a keeper they weren't dry and tasted great and now I can chop up my green peppers and freeze them so I have green peppers to cook later with instead of them being used just as a flavor conponent and holder for my stuffed pepper mixture!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good. Was this a loose mixture like in the stuffed peppers, or was it kind of like a meatloaf mixture?

    Also, I wonder what regular rice would do in it. I don't have minute rice on hand.

    Have a great day with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete