Thursday, December 29, 2011

Perfect Rice

I've been on the search of a perfect rice recipe and I have tried many.

What I am looking for is rice that is similar to that which is served at a chinese or mexican restaurant.

My rice always seems sticky and somewhat mushy. Blah!! So not what I am looking for.

I want rice that is cooked done but not mushy, that isn't sticky and doesn't stick together in clumps.

So I've seen a few recipes online and I've watched a couple cooking shows and this is what I tried tonight.

1 tablespoon oil or butter- tonight I used sesame oil
1 cup of rice
1.5- 1.75 cups of water

Here's what I did

In a saucepan I put the oil and the rice, and stirred it up and let it cook a bit, everything I read said cook till somewhat translucent, then I added the water, it boiled immediately so be careful, put the lid on, turn the heat down and set the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off remove from heat and fluff with a fork. That's it and it turned out great!!

Now to try to recreate the red tinted rice we get at the mexican restaurants!! That's my next adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment